Homemade Oreos
















photo from Sugar Cooking

Ok people. I'm going to be trying something new here on the Sullivan Four. I have a great collection of cookbooks, great websites bookmarked on my computer, and some wonderful family recipes at my disposal. My problem is that I often make something that is family(Conor)-approved and if too much time passes, I forget about it and never get to making it again. So, to help myself keep track of it all, I'll be writing about recipes that I try and want to make again (and maybe the recipes that don't make the cut too, just so I remember that too.) This way I have just one place to look if I need inspiration to make something tried and true. Hopefully it gives you some inspiration too!

I hosted a play date at our house today and wanted to have a little something on hand for some snacking, especially since the other moms in attendance are pregnant. So (against Conor's advice) I decided to try a new recipe. I saw this recipe on Sugar Cooking,  and the result: thumbs up from all! These cookies are SO easy to make and they really are tasty. It is absolutely essential that you enjoy these with a glass of milk!

Recipe: Adapted from Smitten Kitchen
Ingredients
:
For the chocolate wafers:
  • 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup unsweetened Dutch process cocoa
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 to 1 1/2 cups sugar
  • 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons (1 1/4 sticks) room-temperature, unsalted butter
  • 1 large egg
For the filling:
  • 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) room-temperature, unsalted butter
  • 1/4 cup vegetable shortening
  • 2 cups sifted confectioners sugar
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Directions:
  1. Set two racks in the middle of the oven. Preheat to 375°F.
  2. In a food processor, or bowl of an electric mixer, thoroughly mix the flour, cocoa, baking soda and powder, salt, and sugar. While pulsing, or on low speed, add the butter, and then the egg. Continue processing or mixing until dough comes together in a mass.
  3. Take rounded teaspoons of batter and place on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet approximately two inches apart. With moistened hands, slightly flatten the dough. Bake for 9 minutes, rotating once for even baking. Set baking sheets on a rack to cool.
  4. To make the cream, place butter and shortening in a mixing bowl, and at low speed, gradually beat in the sugar and vanilla. Turn the mixer on high and beat for 2 to 3 minutes until filling is light and fluffy.
  5. To assemble the cookies, in a pastry bag with a 1/2 inch, round tip, pipe teaspoon-size blobs of cream into the center of one cookie. Place another cookie, equal in size to the first, on top of the cream. Lightly press, to work the filling evenly to the outsides of the cookie. Continue this process until all the cookies have been sandwiched with cream. Dunk generously in a large glass of milk.

1 comment: